Below is a summary of the work of the Scottish Physical Education Network from 2016 – 2018.
Year 1 Network Activities: 2016
- January 2016 – Launch Event for Scottish Physical Education Network at University of Edinburgh.
- June 2016 – Workshop on research methods at University of Dundee.
- September 2016 – Seminar at University of Strathclyde: Social and Emotional Learning in Physical Education, led by Dr Paul Wright (Northern Illinois University).
- November 2016 – Meeting at Scottish Association of Teachers of Physical Education Conference (SATPE), Denny High School.
- November 2016 – Meeting at SERA Conference, University of Dundee
Year 2 Network Activities: 2017
- January 2017 – Joint seminar with the Physical Education Research Forum (PERF), University of Edinburgh. This seminar was the first in a series of seminars planned by PERF to coincide with the launch of the edited book Transformative Learning and Teaching in Physical Education, which ScotPERN members have contributed to https://www.routledge.com/Transformative-Learning-and-Teaching-in-Physical-Education/Thorburn/p/book/9781138650183.
- Malcolm Thorburn (University of Edinburgh) – Transformative Learning and Teaching in Physical Education
- Mike Jess/Nicola Carse (University of Edinburgh) – Physical Education in a World of Complexity
- September 2017 – Research Workshop at University of Stirling: Gathering Evidence, Practitioner Inquiry and Self-study
- November 2017 – Network meeting at SERA Conference at UWS in Ayr. Practitioner inquiry workshop for probationer teachers at SERA conference. Research sharing workshop at SATPE conference.
Year 3 Network Activities: 2018
- January 2018 – ScotPERN & PERF joint seminar at University of Edinburgh: The use of an activist approach to teach girls in physical education led by Cara Lamb, Rachel Ewing-Day and David Kirk from University of Strathclyde.
- July 2018 – AIESEP Conference hosted by University of Edinburgh
AIESEP is an international, non-governmental, non-profit, professional association which aims to promote high quality research worldwide in the areas of physical education, physical activity and sport pedagogy across the lifespan.
In 2018 the University of Edinburgh hosted the AIESEP international conference, the conveners of the ScotPERN network both served on the organising committee for this conference. Over 400 delegates attended the conference, with several ScotPERN members presenting their work. ScotPERN were official conference supporters of AIESEP 2018.
November 2018 – Network meeting at SERA Conference, Glasgow. Leading two workshops at the SATPE conference: Models based practice and Research Sharing